We have been working behind the scenes to ensure that SHER continues its vital functions despite poor attendance at our workshops. After a meeting with the Coastal Museums Association (CMA) Executive Board, we are proposing that SHER become an affiliate of CMA through a Memorandum of Agreement. In essence, we are proposing the following changes:
- The SHER membership drive will be folded into the CMA membership drive. This mean less paperwork each year.
- SHER membership will continue to be free and available to any CMA member as well as first responders, CEMA officials, and related businesses.
- One CMA program per year will be devoted to disaster response training and information.
- SHER will also conduct one or two independent trainings or workshops as demand dictates (i.e. the CEMA Hurricane Conference).
- Starting next year, two Co-Chairs will govern SHER: a Liaison to Chatham Emergency Management Agency (CEMA) and a Liaison to CMA.
We are going do use the MOU on an ad hoc basis for the first year to see how it works. If we proceed with the MOU after the first year, then we will make the appropriate changes to the by-laws.
Laura Seifert, SHER Chairperson