Click for an overview of the exercise, including a tentative agenda
On April 28th, the City of Savannah will be holding its annual Hurricane Exercise at the Savannah Civic Center (8:30am-2:30pm). This year, the exercise includes four breakout groups, including one intended specifically for historical and cultural sites to discuss their plans, concerns, and intentions for re-entering and assessing facilities in Savannah after a major hurricane. An overview of the exercise, including a tentative agenda is available for download at the top of this post. We would really like to have representatives with hurricane planning responsibility from all of Savannah’s historical and culturally significant sites represented at this exercise. Please make sure this message is forwarded to the appropriate staff with your organization.
To RSVP for the exercise, please send an email to Dan Stowers, Emergency Management Director for the City of Savannah, at DStowers01@savannahga.gov.
Thank you, and I look forward to seeing many of you there!
Luciana Spracher, Director
City of Savannah, Research Library & Municipal Archives
A long-simmering project has now come to fruition. We have developed a mutual aid agreement with our sister organization in Atlanta, Heritage Emergency Response Alliance (HERA). A copy of the mutual aid agreement is available here: SHER-HERA-Mutual-Aid. Please review it and then vote on whether we will adopt this agreement.
Sign up for SHER “News Blasts” by clicking on the button below. Users of the old Google Group do not need to sign up again- your membership transferred to the new group.
Please click on the red button to fill out Savannah Heritage Emergency Response (SHER) membership form. Membership is free. As a member of SHER, you also receive the following benefits:
- Membership is kept apprised of potentially hazardous situations as they are developing via Chatham Emergency Management Agency (CEMA) Assessment Teams through our Emergency Operations Center (EOC) representatives.
- Your site will be documented as a critical facility by CEMA.
- Access (via phone) to our EOC representative during a disaster or emergency.
- Quarterly meetings and other workshops will inform you about important disaster planning and mitigation topics.
- Our Google Group enables us to contact each other efficiently.
- SHER website: https://sheronline.info/
- Develop important relationships with local emergency personnel and first responders
- Freezer space at CEMA during individual disasters
- Freezer space at Base Camp during major disasters (government agencies and collections only)
- Access to disaster recovery vendors through the state contracts
- The SHER team at Base Camp during a major disaster
Laura Seifert, SHER Chairperson
Please take a moment to vote in the SHER elections for the next 2-year term by clicking here. Voting will be open until December 25. The slate of officers is:
- Chairperson- Laura Seifert
- Vice Chairperson- Debbie Linn
- Secretary- Lynette Stoudt
In addition, Sherryl Lang has agreed to head the Training & Education Committee, and Caroline Hopkinson will be leading the Membership Committee. Both of these gracious volunteers need some volunteers for their committee. The survey will give you a chance to put your hat in the helping box.
From Heritage Preservation’s website:
The ERS: Emergency Response and Salvage app is now available for Android users and can be downloaded through Google Play. The app was first released in April 2012, for Apple devices running on iOS 5.1 or later. Since its release in the App Store, ERS has been downloaded more than 1,800 times! The app provides the same reliable content found in the original Emergency Response and Salvage Wheel. ERS makes the Wheel’s invaluable guidance accessible to anyone who is in need of practical advice for saving collections in the first 48 hours after a disaster. Coming soon, ERS for BlackBerry, an updated Apple version for all iOS platforms, and ERS in Spanish!